Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pleasantville

This was the first time seeing this movie all the way through. I'd seen selections in class and once while flipping channels. One reason I wanted to watch it was in my Adobe Publishing class I learned that Photoshop was used on each frame to make the individual items or people in color. Which I have a lot of respect for that kind of work, being more familiar with Photoshop.

Overall I liked the movie. I wasn't crazy about it, but I am far from hating it. At points I felt it was a little slow. I also felt the main character shifted from Reese Witherspoon's character to Tobey Maguire's. The overall concept of be all that you can be, by being all of you I support. It's okay, no great to have to different emotions such as angry, silly, sexy or ecstatic. Life that is only pleasant, is boring. You need the sad times to enjoy the felicitous. At the same time looking at the specifics of how the movie told this point, I do not agree with the pre-marital sex nor the extramarital sex. I also really didn't like the last shot. Plus I loved the way the black and white to color visualization to illustrate everything.

Bottom-line: I'm glad I watched it, I don't want to own it and don't know how willing I would be to watch it again if someone suggested it. The overall theme I support and enjoyed and as I said how it tells a story visually is a nice element.

No comments: