Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Manchurian Candidate

Another AFI 100 film to cross off the list. I watched this with my roommates (they came back) and some other way cool friends on Saturday.

Review: Wow. I really, really liked this movie. The plot is well thought out. The suspense is real. At the end you are completely engrossed in the story and wondering what will happen. I thought I guessed what would happen right, then a surprise! Now, there is a bit of a slow start to this film. Thankfully I had Jamie to talk through the beginning to make sure we were both aware of important points. Frank Sinatra is great, as is Lawrence Harvey. But the shock, well maybe that's not the right word, but what was so surprising was to see Angela Lansbury (who still looks old even though she's at least 30 years younger than I've ever seen her) play a fierce, driven, power-hungry character. Not only is she playing that character, she's playing it like she was born to do it. The cinematography is impressive, especially for the time. It's fantastic, you'll never look at a Queen of Diamonds the same.

Bottom-line: It's fantastic! Superb script, awesome acting, perfectly pulls you into the story plot, aesthetically pleasing cinematography (I got tired of my attempt at alliteration). Overall I completely and totally recommend this film! If you haven't seen it, go forth and rent!

No comments: